Friday, September 12, 2008

Marriage Maintance/Checkup/Vitamins

Cynthia and I have a wonderful sister named Beckie. She is loads of fun and SO spiritually mature. Cynthia and I often comment on how we wish we lived closer to her so we could get daily spiritual advise and wisdom from her. Anyway, she sent the below encouragement to me and I wanted to pass it on to you. This was written by a young lady named Amanda Jones. (Beth Moore's daughter)

"I think I may have mentioned this book before, but I absolutely love Devotions for a Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. That book is like vitamins for your marriage. I read the following portion earlier this week and have been wanting to share it with everyone. From "A Soul Filled with God" on p. 9:
Personal worship is an absolute necessity for a strong marriage. It comes down to this: If I stop receiving from God, I start demanding from others. Instead of appreciating and loving and serving others, I become disappointed in them. Instead of cherishing my wife, I become aware of her shortcomings. I take out my frustrations with a less-than-perfect life and somehow blame her for my lack of fulfillment.But when my heart gets filled by God's love and acceptance, I'm set free to love instead of worrying about being loved. I'm motivated to serve instead of becoming obsessed about whether I'm being served. I'm moved to cherish instead of feeling unappreciated.
If you looked in my book you'd see furious underlining and a big OUCH! scribbled at the top of the page. Isn't that good though? I would definitely recommend this book to any married couple. It gives you one reading a week for a year. " (Amanda Jones)

Here's to personal worship and loving our spouses well!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post seems to go along with our Ladies Bible Study, Loving Well. Wow!